Nationally and locally, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., is working to address violence against women and encouraging all members to break the culture of silence surrounding this issue. Domestic violence doesn’t just affect the person being abused; it affects the whole community. Deltas strive to create awareness for domestic violence and to inform and educate the public. To support the organization’s tireless work to end domestic violence and increase awareness amongst minorities, the Indianapolis Alumnae Chapter (IAC) has developed a Domestic and Sexual Violence Initiative called H.E.L.P. – Having Essential Links for your Protection.
Domestic violence affects 1 out of 4 women in their lifetime. LET US BE THE FIRST STEP TO H.E.L.P. Below you will find local resources available in our community:
- In IMMEDIATE DANGER, please CALL 9-1-1
- NOT in Immediate Danger, but need a Safety Plan, Protective Order CALL 2-1-1
- National Sexual Assualt Hotline – 1.800.656.HOPS (4673)
- Indiana Coalition of Domestic Violence 24-Hour Hotline – 1.800.332.7385, http://www.icadv.org/
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1.800.SAFE (7233), http://www.thehotline.org/
- N2BLU – Not 2 Believers Like Us – 317.923.7278 x-13, http://www.n2blunhe.org/
- Indiana Healthy Marriage and Family Coalition, Inc. – 317.927.9557, http://www.ihmfc.org/
- Julian Center 24-Hour Hotline – 317.920.9320, http://www.juliancenter.org/
For more information on domestic violence, visit the National Coalition against Domestic Violence.